POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : #declares and memory management : Re: #declares and memory management Server Time
18 Aug 2024 12:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declares and memory management
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 May 2001 14:05:28
Message: <3b056468@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.156f6f504b27c9c29896b3@news.povray.org> , Lutz-Peter Hooge
<lpv### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> I know, when #declaring a mesh, it is only loaded only once, so you can
> use many instances of it, without running out of memory.
> Why isn't this possible with all objects, like a union of 10000 cones for
> example?

Because it is an implementation feature of the mesh code, not the object
storage code.  There are some side effects how render speed of some other
objects is improved that would be incompatible with such a method, so it is
non-trivial to implement.

> Maybe there is already a patch out there wich implements this and I just
> don't know?

I am not aware of any patch that can do this.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.