POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bigtime MegaPov 0.7 CRASH! : Re: Bigtime MegaPov 0.7 CRASH! Server Time
1 Sep 2024 12:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigtime MegaPov 0.7 CRASH!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 May 2001 11:54:26
Message: <3b02a2b2@news.povray.org>
In article <3b027cb0$1@news.povray.org> , "Bob H." <omn### [at] msncom>
wrote:

> Is that still the Windows platform?  If so, black screen no errors sounds
> very fundamentally wrong, like a CPU error perhaps.  Could it be that the
> Duron has trouble with the MSVC Win32 (Pentium II optimized) build of
> POV-Ray?  Seems plausible anyway.
> What's the video in that?  Onboard or card? I ask out of curiosity but maybe
> it's related to handling the output to screen somehow instead, which again
> would be very low-level since a error message should have been shown
> otherwise.

Sorry, neither of these is a possible reason if there is _no_ defect
elsewhere.  Screens don't just randomly black out if you call the operating
system, neither has any optimization for any processor something do with it.

Assuming it is not a hardware problem (if the system runs well under load
for a long time if POV-Ray is not running), the problem is most likely some
damaged software install.  The solution to these if running Windows is to
re-install, as well as update all drivers, bios, and add all operating
system bug fixes that are not buggy themselves per se.  however, I do not
think the problem can be found without physical access, i.e. it cannot be
found in this newsgroup except someone had the same problem before and found
a solution.

Computer hardware and software are no _magic_ boxes - if there is a problem
there is a specific cause and a (not necessarily obvious) solution.

      Thorsten