POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting rid of shadows on ONE single polygon : Re: Getting rid of shadows on ONE single polygon Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting rid of shadows on ONE single polygon
From: James Tonkin
Date: 13 May 2001 23:45:09
Message: <3aff54c5$1@news.povray.org>
>  I need to get rid of the shadows made by other polygon on a special one...

Well, this wouldn't do precisely what it sounds like you're looking for, but
it might be close enough.

Declare the pigment of the special polygon as something like:
	color some_small_num * <red, green, blue>

And then in the finish statement, put:
	ambient 1/some_small_num

Where some_small_num is something like 0.001

So although all the other polygons will cast shadows onto the object, the
difference between the directly lit, and the shadowed area will be very small,
but the high ambient will cause the object to essentially glow at whatever
pigment value you used.

I don't know if this would work (havn't tried it), as the renderer might not
retain enough precision in the light level calculation, in which case it might
end up rounding the very small rgb components to zero, and the high ambient
wouldn't restore them.

Jamie