POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : I'm disappointed with speed of my sun compilation :-( : Re: I'm disappointed with speed of my sun compilation :-( Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm disappointed with speed of my sun compilation :-(
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 May 2001 08:51:05
Message: <3afe8339@news.povray.org>
In article <3afbdd83@news.povray.org> , "Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba"
<abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> little off-topic but I have to choose - this compaq or this sun for our
company

You are comparing apples and bananas here.  Running POV-Ray fast tells you
little about any other application running on the system.  Besides,
databases (assuming that is what you need the server for) rarely need
floating-point units, and the Sun system you are using is designed as
server, not for scientific computing.  Run Oracle on both, and you will see
the speed difference you expect when comparing with maximum load (the Sun
system will likely be faster, or comparable).  And for servers you should
not look only at raw system speed of the initial configuration anyway...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde