POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question on introducing randomness. : Question on introducing randomness. Server Time
18 Aug 2024 08:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Question on introducing randomness.
From: Thomas Lake
Date: 12 May 2001 19:45:50
Message: <3afdcb2e$1@news.povray.org>
In my previous post I talked about adding random translation/rotation into
my tunnel building script. I've played around with the rand() function with
mixed results. From what I understand it works like so

#declare myseed = seed(12);

translate <0,0,rand(myseed)>

The problem with this is that the random value you get is only between 0 and
1. SO I tried the following.

translate <0,0,rand(myseed)/rand(myseed)> or
translate <0,0,rand(myseed)/rand(myseed)*rand(myseed)>

This does work better but I still don't get the effect I want. With this
method most of the objects are still only translated an imperceptible
amount, and then every once in a while an object will be translated a large
distance. What I want is for all the objects to be noticeably translated a
random amount, but I don't want any sudden leaps.