POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : icicles macro render [~45KB Jpg] : Re: icicles macro render [~45KB Jpg] Server Time
18 Aug 2024 08:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: icicles macro render [~45KB Jpg]
From: Bob H
Date: 11 May 2001 01:41:14
Message: <3afb7b7a$1@news.povray.org>
"Andrea Ryan" <ary### [at] global2000net> wrote in message
> Some of the tips look a bit rounded.  Are they melting or really small
> icicles?  I remember icicles being more pointed like those in the middle
of
> the picture.  Are these drops of water on the tips?  The caustics look
great.

You're joking right?  You think I'd put water droplets in there too?  :-)
Just pretend they are maybe melting or freezing.  A media change makes a
huge difference in how they look but I finally left it as is for anyone else
to modify that part.
The shapes change dramatically for different parameters.
I took the regular 'caustics' keyword out, figuring it competed with the
photon mapping.

> Sometimes, we have one that reaches a length of about seven feet long
before
> falling.

I didn't specify it unit-wise but inch=unit would probably fit.  It's not
apparent what length you might actually get I guess, since if 10 is used for
"size" then a 3 for "length" you wouldn't get a maximum of 13 units, and not
7 units, but something like a range from 9.875 to 7.625 units.  What's more
is with it being a blob the threshold value changes it drastically overall.

#while (C>In+(Il+(IRl*(6-Iv))))  // a real mess for sure

Where In is the zero ending point, Il is 0 to 2 (random), IRl is 0.125 to 1
(also random), and Iv the Length variable (intended to be 0 to 5).  The C is
of course the beginning size (related to both length and girth).
Confusing, isn't it?  I had trouble getting a random number to be used so
it's worse than would have otherwise been.  It's still my typical chaotic
scripting besides.

Hopefully this explains things a bit anyhow.

Bob H.