POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My chess set : Re: My chess set Server Time
18 Aug 2024 16:14:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My chess set
From: Harold Baize
Date: 8 May 2001 14:24:07
Message: <3af839c7$1@news.povray.org>
Well wrong is some respects, but not as most people who animate with
POV-Ray are concerned. I think most of us render all the frames before
compression, and that is what eats up disk space, not the final animation
file. I know how video compression works. I recently animated (with POV)
a rotating factor structure from a factor analysis of a children's mental
health outcomes measure. I made 360 640x480 frames, so it was about
to 330MB before making an AVI file. Some programs, like Hash
Animation:Master will render directly to an animation so you don't chew
up so much disk space in the process. It is the pre-compression phase that
makes disk space a limiting factor, not the relatively small difference in
final
file size that camera movement contributes, even if it increases the final
animation file by a factor of four.

Harold