POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lightening macro... : Re: Lightening macro... Server Time
18 Aug 2024 10:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightening macro...
From: yooper
Date: 4 May 2001 20:18:48
Message: <3af346e8@news.povray.org>
If that's supposed to be a stereo pair, you should know that it's way
>> too large for wide-eyed viewing (for most people, anyway)
>
>    Right. I was about 12 degrees wall-eyed before I got it...

I gave up and reversed the order of the images in Photoshop.  I couldn't get
my chair far enough from my monitor to see it wide-eyed.

---------

I disagree . . . the left and right images are exactly as they should be . .
.
the farther the object from the eye, the farther the shift to the right in
the view from the right eye . . . it's perfect as it is.  Just think of how
the whole scene would look from directly above . . . and imagine
where the left and right views must be . . . then you see that the pic
shows it perfectly.
And the separation distance isn't really the problem  . . . it's more that
the camera was shifted a little too far . . . it's a little difficult for
the brain
to make sense of data that separated.   Try shifting the cam in smaller
steps and then viewing various combos until it looks just right.
It still sticks in my mind that a 1 unit shift to the right for ever 30
units
of distance to the object (or center of your scene) will be close.

I think the problem . . . the inability to *see* it is . . . just a matter
of how you look at it and what you expect to see.  The  perception of
depth is a function of the brain . . . no such depth exists in the pic . . .
only in our minds.  The same way that we seem to see motion when
a series of stills is presented to us at a certain rate.  I can tell you
from
experience that . . . being able to use the cross-eyed method is something
that must be learned and practiced.  I'm always surprised at the number
of people who can't see it . . . and I've been able to teach a few of them
how to look and once they *get it* . . . they're hooked.

I guarantee that the pic is fine as is . . . nicely done Phil . . .
now just need the code ;)  Oh yeah . . . and I'd be interested in your
camera settings . . . you know . . . distance from the object and just
how much of a shift you used between views.

Here's an idea . . . and this would be great for those who haven't been
able to cross view it, do a few more and make it an animation . . .  just
circle all the way around and loop the anim . . . then it should become
apparent to anyone . . .  no need to harm one's self ;)