POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : And now for something completely different (my IRTC, take 7) : Re: And now for something completely different (my IRTC, take 7) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And now for something completely different (my IRTC, take 7)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 18 Apr 2001 10:32:35
Message: <3adda583@news.povray.org>

> Geoff Wedig wrote:
>>
>> Only used 20,000 photons, which isn't near enough for the size of the water
>> plane.  There's a lot of speckling.

> You don't need the whole water plane, i elaborated this a bit in my
> 'outdoor water photons' experiments.

> If only 20000 photons are distributed over the whole water the light
> structures are probably fairly random and not related to the water
> structure.

Well, the water isn't really all that big, maybe 200 x 300 feet (in my
personal scaling 1 pov unit = 1 foot.  Makes visualization easier)  What do
you suggest doing for the water?  A small photoned area cut out from the
rest?  I don't like doing differences with isos, so I'm not certain that's a
good idea.

>> What type of statistics did you want?
>>

> mostly render and photon times.

That's really tricky.  I'm using PVMega, so most output is mostly
surpressed.  The full picture took 72:56:00 using 15 PII 400's running
Mosix.  Probably not as long as the Tulip pic on a single processor, but I'm
not about to try it. :/

This was significantly longer than the darkness pictures, despite those
having the major light sources within scattering media, and area lights
besides.  The bright picture uses a far off point light, so photons slow
things down immensely (of course, photons + isos + radiosity is never going
to be fast)

>> When talking about the glow, did you mean the light from it, or the glows
>> themselves?

> I meant the glows themselves.  Imagine for example a fire in sunlight.
> Even  if it is very bright, it's brightness is hardly visible.

Ah, that doesn't bother me.  You can still see the fire, after all, and the
glow isn't that much brighter than the surrounding bricks.  I may tone it
down slightly, but not much.

Geoff