POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Orient questions : Re: Orient questions Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orient questions
From: Rune
Date: 17 Apr 2001 16:15:59
Message: <3adca47f@news.povray.org>
"Geoff Wedig" wrote:
> Right, but what's the axis of rotation?  if the area
> light is non uniform, this makes a difference.

I mailed Eric Brown (the author of the patch) some time ago and got all the
answers (almost).

There's no way of controlling "the axis of rotation" or whatever you want to
call it. Because of this you are likely to get uncontrollable and
unpredictable results when using the orient feature, sometimes even with
square area_lights. Also, the orient feature will make the two axis of the
area_light perpendicular, even if they were not originally perpendicular.

It seems the orient feature was really intended to be used together with the
circular feature, which makes the area_light circular instead of
rectangular.

One question he didn't answer was why the image I had made had those
artifacts in it. The artifacts persisted even when I also used the circular
keyword.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated March 29)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org