POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Into the Abyss, IRTC, take 5 (6?) : Re: Into the Abyss, IRTC, take 5 (6?) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 14:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Into the Abyss, IRTC, take 5 (6?)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 12 Apr 2001 07:54:10
Message: <3ad59760@news.povray.org>
Shay <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote:

> BEST PARTS:
>     Bricks are great.
>     Castle design has no obvious pov shapes incorporated into it.
>     Satelite dish adds a lot of interest.
>     Shingle silhouettes on the roof are ten times better than some lazy
> texture.
>     Castle looks massive.
>     Picture is overall very bad @ss.

Thanks for the positive comments.  It's obvious you looked fairly closely
(the shingles are difficult to see, dark as it is)

> POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:
>     I think the moss looks a lot better on the right side than the left.

Well, it's the same stuff, code wise, unless you mean the stuff under the
spout.  To some extent that is supposed to look healthier.

>     I think that the background is the weakest elemwnt in the picture,
> perhaps a lighter mist with some dead trees, a fortified stone gate, or even
> a few bright stars visible through it would look better.

Trying some things.  Thinking about adding a moon, perhaps, with the mist
floowing both in front and behind it.

>     It think the castle would appear even larger if the steam on the bottom
> were lightened as well, and more of the castle walls were allowed to show
> through it. The dense, bright media could be placed below the range of the
> camera to provide adequate light for the picture.

The lit portion is fairly important to the concept, so I wouldn't want to
move it off frame.  I could lower it, so that more castle shows down deeper,
but that would require extensive revision of the code, since while it's
supposed to look like it plunges a long way, it doesn't actually go much
further than the current mist.  I'll have to think about that before doing
anything.

Geoff