POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Media Fire take 1 (230kau) : Re: Media Fire take 1 (230kau) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media Fire take 1 (230kau)
From: Rune
Date: 5 Apr 2001 12:15:22
Message: <3acc9a1a@news.povray.org>
"Geoff Wedig" wrote:
> Yeah, those artifacts are really strange.

Yeah.

> You're using a blob, right?

No. I considered using a blob with a blob_pattern density but had to reject
the idea, as it doesn't allow me to assign separate turbulence to the
individual particles, which I need to.

I'm using a merge of spheres. Inside the merge is a single interior with
multiple media statements, one for each particle.

Using a union of spheres forces a whole lot of samples to be taken because
of the many intersections; that's why I use merge.

When using merge I can't place the media inside the individual spheres (that
doesn't work correctly). So I place all the media statements in the parent
object (the merge).

Using this method is fairly fast.

> I thought the flickers were really nice, personally,
> especially on the back stones.

I think it would be both faster and prettier to use just one light_source
(possible area_light) and manually moving it around a little and change the
brightness.

> I agree with others about the multiple sources.

Instead of using multiple sources I could use one source that moves around
in a circle really fast (currently possible) or a source that is an object
(not yet implemented).

> when doing multiple sources, overlapping might be a problem

I'm already using overlapping media if that's what you mean, and I've used
it often before. Could that be causing the artefacts?

> Also, the flames to the outside get drawn in towards the
> center somewhat, which might be tricky to model, although
> an attraction force between the particles may be sufficient.

Sorry, I've decided not to implement any kind of inter-particle forces in my
system.

> In fact, that might be something you want to do anyway,
> as the current flame is a little too broad at the top.

Real camp fire isn't necessarily cone-shaped is it?

Thanks for the feedback!

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated March 29)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org