POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Possible IRTC entry (18kbu) : Re: Possible IRTC entry (18kbu) Server Time
28 Sep 2024 10:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible IRTC entry (18kbu)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 4 Apr 2001 15:02:24
Message: <3acb6fbf@news.povray.org>
Stephen Bell <ste### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>> It's supposed to be ice. I considered adding a brick normal but
>> thought that would remove the 'not of this world' feeling. Looking
>> aain, I think the ambient is too high.

> Yes, I think the ambient is the problem.  Where is the light source?  It
> looks like the end of the bridge is very bright. Is it at the base of the
> castle?  How did you make your ice?  Is it just a transparent block with
> ior, or did you use some media effects?  I think it would look more like ice
> if you gave the ice a bit of white media effect (bubbles in the ice?) and
> cast the light up onto it, maybe from several spotlights around the castle.
> That's a nice landscape heightfield.  Now I finally see what the northern
> lights were for.  :-)

You know, that brought up an interesting idea.  If your ice is partially
transparent, you might want to photon it.  If you do it right and place a
couple of cliffs nearby, you could get some really nice colors (assuming you
let the light split into component colors) and such.  Could be *really*
pretty.

Of course, I've never worked with photons, so I don't know how hard that'd
be.

Geoff