POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hopes dashed again : Re: Hopes dashed again Server Time
18 Aug 2024 16:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hopes dashed again
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 4 Apr 2001 14:14:13
Message: <3acb6475$1@news.povray.org>
That's just what I was about to suggest! Probably even 3-4 levels thick
would be sufficient. (While leaving the center hollow.) All those cylinders
would obscure any objects that were more than a few levels deep inside the
object anyway. That way you should be able to make it pretty big.

-Dave

"Bryan Valencia" <bry### [at] 209softwarecom> wrote in message
> I was thinking that instead of making it solid, I could make it, say 5
units
> thick...  That's still a lot of legos, but maybe I could get a bigger
sphere.

> "Bob H." wrote:
>
> > I gave the scene a try and then put another zero onto the 20 units.
This
> > 800MHz CPU struggled with it for 8 minutes before the memory gave out.
Has
> > taken another 14 minutes to free it back, at least much faster than my
other
> > computer with 256MB and 500MHz CPU would have been.  I have 192MB on
here.
> > I was going to ask if coincident surfaces might be the cause but now I
> > wonder.  Still, I'm not certain about it but even with merge wouldn't so
> > many coincident surfaces within a clear CSG be potential trouble?
> >
> > Bob H.
> >
> > "Dave Blandston" <gra### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> > > Yep, those exponentially huge scenes will do it every time...
Something