POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : [POVMan]version 0.71.4 released : Re: [POVMan]version 0.71.4 released Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [POVMan]version 0.71.4 released
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Apr 2001 13:30:50
Message: <3acb5a4a$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ACB5155.AA9581F7@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

>  This means that the compiled shaders are significantly
> faster than the current isosurface function interpreter.  I don't know
> what optimizations are planned for Povray 3.5 in that direction - just
> wanted to share this observation.

For complex isosurface functions a speedup factor of ten is possible,
but for extremely simple functions (like x*y) a minor slowdown will
occur.  However, all noteworthy limits in function size are eliminated
and there are hooks that could allow another factor of ten speedup (no
kidding!)...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg