POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Bulge : Re: Bulge Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bulge
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 4 Apr 2001 03:10:53
Message: <3acac8fd@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the help. I've never worked with cylinders, I assumed they had
flat ends as I don't have much time. There are two problems though. A
violins bulge is more like a sine wave and the sides shouldn't get thicker
at the cut-away parts. I've just thought of blobs. maybe that would work, so
I'm going to give that a try now.

Thanks

Nekar
"Joshua English" <eng### [at] spiritonecom> wrote in message
news:3AC### [at] spiritonecom...
> Nekar Xenos wrote:
>
> > I have the vectors for the shape. Can I extrude that instead of using
csg
> > and still do the bulge? I'll try your method just to get the hang of it.
At
> > the moment I can't understand how an intersection with a cylinder would
give
> > a bulge, but I'll take a deeper look into it.
>
> A sphere might work as well, but you'd have a harder time getting it to
look
> right, I think. The cylinder provides the curve of the surface, as if you
were
> looking down the neck of the violin towards the base, then the violinshape
> object gives the form of the violin. You don't want the flat surface of a
> prism, so a cylinder will have enough curve to it to simulate the bump.
I'll