POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : particle system : fire (121kbu) : Re: particle system : fire (121kbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: particle system : fire (121kbu)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 2 Apr 2001 07:41:04
Message: <3ac86550@news.povray.org>
Rune <run### [at] inamecom> wrote:

> Here I've used my particle system to simulate some cheap, fast-rendering
> fire using glows. (Unfortunately glows only work on dark backgrounds.)

> I'm not quite sure how realistic it is. How would you rate it?

I've been looking at both, and it's fantastic.  The edges are a little funky
on the bottom, as it fades out, but I don't know that there's much that can
be done about that, using glows.  The top reminds me of the light from the
fire reflected off of smoke (smoke so dark you can't see it against the
background, maybe?)

Still, it's very nice.  You might want to try adding a ground plane and a
few light sources (not sure what, or how, since one for every particle would
be *way* slow) to give the ground flickering.  It would add a lot of
realism.

Geoff