POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov radiosity + crashes : Re: megapov radiosity + crashes Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:32:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov radiosity + crashes
From: Scott Hill
Date: 30 Mar 2001 12:14:25
Message: <3ac4bef1$1@news.povray.org>
"Tina S." <you### [at] ucanfoadorg> wrote in message
<stuff about radiosity, MegaPOV and reflection>

    That sounds all too familiar - the first thing I'd try is the reflecting
object - just comment out the reflection line and re-render.

    I've had similar crashes with MegaPOV and radiosity - I started to track
down the cause, but I don't know enough about the POV source to have got
very far with it. Any how, for those MegaPOV developers reading this, it
looked a lot like either a stack overflow or a 'pointer no longer pointing
to valid memory' problem - reflection definitely seems to be one of the main
culprits, however I also had virtually identical crashes with some
combinations of iso-surface and proximity pattern, unfortunately, though I
could, once I had scene that did, get it to crash each time, every time, the
problem appears to be very scene specific - I had some renders using
reflection, iso's & proximity that finished just fine and others bombed
every time.
    I figured out a work around for what I wanted to do, so didn't look too
deeply into the problem, but a quick experiment with various combinations of
radiosity, reflection, proximity and iso's should get things crashing along
quite nicely - it was certainly far easier to find combinations that caused
a crash than one's that didn't. :-(

--
Scott Hill
Software Engineer.