POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aurora (7kbu) : Re: Aurora Version 2 (9kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aurora Version 2 (9kbu)
From: Stephen Bell
Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:05:59
Message: <3ac16327$1@news.povray.org>
Hello.  This is your friendly neighborhood Canadian here...
    We see the northern lights all the time at home.  First of all, what are
you wanting to use the northern light effect for?  If you are going for
visual impact, it is alright to use the photos that have been linked to as
examples, but the extreme colors and brightness is not typical (at least
where I live) so you may want to tone it down and make it just a little bit
whiter and more transparent (although the coloring in the second image you
posted is a lot better).
    I think the biggest problem with your image is the straight line on the
bottom.  It should really be more of a flowing line (always reminded me of a
brush stroke with watercolors bleeding up into the sky).  The other thing
that needs a bit of work is the bands of color that are very close together.
They don't really flow into each other the way they should, but if you
scaled the whole aurora borealis in the x direction by about 2, the effect
would be a lot more graceful.  The other thing that I was going to mention
is that if you are looking for more pictures of this effect, you may note
that they have similar effects in the southern hemisphere (aurora
australialis, I believe) that may have links and photos on the internet.
Great job though.  I still don't understand isosurfaces and media very well,
but it looks like quite the difficult project you've started.  Good luck.

Stephen Bell
http://students.oc.edu/stephen.bell