POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k) : Re: 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k)
From: =Bob=
Date: 27 Mar 2001 13:55:14
Message: <3ac0e212$1@news.povray.org>
What I mean is, the trunk is both dark and in the
shadow of the tree. The grass and fence are
also in the shadow. Should we be able to discern
the trunk in the shadows? I thought so and was
trying to get the trunk to be at least somewhat
visible in the shadow, even if just a silhouette, but
it took alot of light and upping the ambient values
to get it to show up, that's when everything started
looking flat and washed out. I've reduced the ambient
values and now you really can't make out the tree
trunk anymore, but most of the other objects are looking
much better. So, as I get stronger shadows, the trunk
disappears into those shadows.

I don't mind that happening if it's considered the
appropriate view -- I just thought otherwise.

Thanks again!
=Bob=

"Geoff Wedig" <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote in message
[Deletions]

: > I'll try moving the light source around. Do you
: > think you should be able to see the trunk of the
: > tree in the shadows? I wasn't sure.
:
: Depends on what you mean.  The trunk should cast a shadow, certainly.  If
: the part is already in a shadow, then the trunk shouldn't make it
noticably
: darker (well, in reality it would, slightly), but if it's itself the first
: shadow object, it should be nice and dark.

[More deletions]

: Geoff