POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k) : Re: 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 27 Mar 2001 12:38:01
Message: <3ac0cfeb@news.povray.org>
=Bob= <bob### [at] threestrandscom> wrote:

> Hi Geoff,

> Yes. I'm using MegaPov, but I'm not using
> any radiosity. I tried it, but it was just way too
> slow to render. I might try it again.

I may be giving up radiosity myself at this point.  It's taking *really*
long.

> I'll try moving the light source around. Do you
> think you should be able to see the trunk of the
> tree in the shadows? I wasn't sure.

Depends on what you mean.  The trunk should cast a shadow, certainly.  If
the part is already in a shadow, then the trunk shouldn't make it noticably
darker (well, in reality it would, slightly), but if it's itself the first
shadow object, it should be nice and dark.

  I think you
> are right about it's position being the reason
> for the flatness of the leaves. There's actually
> quite a bit of phong for the leaves, but it just
> won't show up. I'll try moving the camera
> around just to take a look from overhead to
> get a better idea of what's going on.

Some nice shadows, maybe even longish ones to the right (left?  No, right,
I'd think) might be nice.  Like you're seeing this place at/near sunset.  Sunset
is a twilight time, a time of change to something darker.  Might evoke the
sense of abandonment that you're working towards here.

Or maybe not.  Worth a shot, anyway.

> I'd love to see a detail shot of your rust, please
> post.

I'll see what I can do.  I got PVM to work on the computer here, so I'm
getting results much faster, but the radiosity is giving me trouble (part of
the reason I might skip it for this pic)  We'll see.

Geoff