POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k) : Re: 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2nd WIP, maybe IRTC entry (180k)
From: =Bob=
Date: 27 Mar 2001 11:19:12
Message: <3ac0bd80$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Geoff,

Yes. I'm using MegaPov, but I'm not using
any radiosity. I tried it, but it was just way too
slow to render. I might try it again.

I'll try moving the light source around. Do you
think you should be able to see the trunk of the
tree in the shadows? I wasn't sure.  I think you
are right about it's position being the reason
for the flatness of the leaves. There's actually
quite a bit of phong for the leaves, but it just
won't show up. I'll try moving the camera
around just to take a look from overhead to
get a better idea of what's going on.

I'd love to see a detail shot of your rust, please
post.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's comments,
suggestions and help!
=Bob=

"Geoff Wedig" <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote in message
: Much improved.  Shadows still need to be darker, IMO.  I like the flaky
: texture of the pump.  Have you considered using a slope map, so that the
: bottoms are rustier than the top segments?  I've had some good luck with
: making good rust that way (my IRTC entry uses rust a lot, but the details
: are too fine to see.  I can post an example if you like of a detail shot)
: This assumes you're using Mega, but from your radiosity (Is it
radiosity?),
: it certainly looks that way.
:
: The problem with the trees seems to be related to the sun (light source)
: being directly overhead, or nearly.  Maybe moving it in towards the
camera,
: so that things are shadowed behind themselves (I recommend at least 10
: degrees off, though, either left or right.  Directly in line with the
camera
: has its own problems) will help. Otherwise, all the leaves are in shadow
and
: so you only see their ambient color, resulting in flatness.
:
: Geoff