POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k) : Re: IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 19 Mar 2001 11:52:05
Message: <3ab63935@news.povray.org>
Hugo <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote:

>>> Criticisms (constructive, of course)?

> You're doing fine! My thoughts:

> 1) The white bottom is too bright. Really.

Truely.  That's actual scattering media, so it's not without reason, but
reducing it will darken the rest of the image, which I'm not sure is a goof
thing.

> 2) I didn't realize it was smoke in the background, until someone said
> so. I think it looks too rough. It should be smooth. You could add
> something behind the smoke, for the rough and realistic look, but if you
> want to keep the "edge of the world effect" (interesting idea, and I
> think you should) then I suggest you keep things simple, behind the
> smoke. Eventually just a wall, for example.

Since the swirly patterns are done with the Galaxy.inc file, I don't think
there can really be much behind them.  Have to think about it though.

> 4) Someone said "they're too clean" and it's true, but I disagree that a
> granite pattern would help. It would just give more noise in the
> picture. Better to use a texture that looks like either sludge or algae
> has been running down the walls for a long time.. But discrete, and if
> possible, not just some long "lines", but have each stone affect it.

You've read my mind actually.  I had written down some notes this morning
about adding a mossy layer on the lower stones, fading away as it gets
higher.  I'm not sure how it'll look, but I'm going to give it a go.

Geoff