POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Python and POVRay : Re: Python and POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Python and POVRay
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 18 Mar 2001 08:18:28
Message: <3ab4b5a4@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> Using Python to write the CSDL engine, or as the language itself?
> The CSDL engine is going to be written in either C++ or Objective C...I
> would prefer Obj-C (for one thing, it would make creating a GUI for the
> Mac version much easier), but C++ may be better for cross-platform
> reasons (there is OpenStep available, though...so cross-platform use is
> possible). I will start off by creating a framework like the one you are
> making in Python...the CSDL interpreter will come later, but the
> framework may be useful by itself.

Well, if cross platform GUIs are an interest, you might want to look at
wxPython or wxC++.  These make building GUIs that'll run under X and Windows
quite easy.  I understand there is a mac port underway, but as I don't use
them, I know little about it.

> I'm also thinking that maybe this should be a "C-like Simulation
> Description Language", and not a POV-specific thing, just a language
> designed for manipulating 3D objects.

If it exports to POV, that'd be fine.  However, the POV metaphor (solid
objects) and the metaphor of many graphics programs (meshes) may be
difficult to do in the same language easily.

Geoff