POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Deterministic method of iterated fractal generation : Re: Deterministic method of iterated fractal generation Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deterministic method of iterated fractal generation
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 16 Mar 2001 03:04:34
Message: <3ab1c912@news.povray.org>
Lovely!

"David Fontaine" <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote in message
> (To the right group this time ;)
>
> One way of making fractals: you have a region of space where the fractal
> will be. You then have rules for making copies of that region
> (translate, scale, rotate etc) within itself. Do the same thing within
> each of those smaller copies. When you get down to the smallest level
> you fill in the tiny copy of the original region. In two dimensions this
> can be used to make the classic sierpinsky triangle or fern. I tried it
> in three dimensions with an arbitrary set of rules for copying the
> region, and placing a blob component whenever the macro got below a box
> of width .005 (the original region being from <-1,-1,-1> to <1,1,1>). I
> can easily define different rules to get different fractals.

I've been thinking of using this self similar scaling technique you
described for Apolloniian packing. In 2d if you have 3 large circles that
are not the same size but in a certain proportion that would result in
fitting exactly with sides touching when iterated at smaller sizes. Almost
the same way that when you cut an A0 size pare in half you get A2 and so on
until you get A4, A5 etc.  As far as I know appolonian packing has only been
done starting with 3 equally sixed circles. The next step would be to do
this in 3d.

Nekar