POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : For Vahur - Ridged mf mountains [25kb] : Re: For Vahur - Ridged mf mountains [25kb] Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Vahur - Ridged mf mountains [25kb]
From: Tom Melly
Date: 13 Mar 2001 09:43:57
Message: <3aae322d$1@news.povray.org>
"Vahur Krouverk" <vah### [at] aetecee> wrote in message

> Thanks, mountains are my passion.

Yeh, but they never return your calls...

> Texture for snow it quite good and realistic, but I think that its
> diffuse level is probably a little bit too high, usually snow is more
> uniformly coloured. And mountains could be more visible, I guess.
> Foreground snow field could have different relief as well, now it is too
> uniform.
> Here is picture from real mountains (Les Deux Alpes, taken with digital
> video camera) to compare with:

Thanks for the photo - a useful reference. I'll try taking the diffuse
down - the current settings were a quick approx. and, given that, closer
than I expected.

Looking at your pic, I've got some ideas for a few changes in the rmf
function.

The forground is just a rough (a noise3d iso).

BTW - this is (possibly) the start of my next irtc entry - scene setting for
the fortress of solitude.

Thanks again.