POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Problem with MegaPOV 0.7 (broken since 0.6A) : Re: Problem with MegaPOV 0.7 (broken since 0.6A) Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with MegaPOV 0.7 (broken since 0.6A)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Mar 2001 21:14:41
Message: <3aad8291$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3aad6e55$1@news.povray.org> , "John M. Dlugosz"
<joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:

> Thanks for the explaination of what the "last" one does.  What we need,
> though, is to have parse-time selection of the noise function on a
> per-texture basis, so Miller's classy stuff still works.  I suppose that
> could be done by having two different function "objects" and automatically
> choose one or the other at parse time, where one is the old way and one is
> the new.

The correct solution is to abandon texture using the old, broken noise
function and adjust textures accordingly.  You should not count on
POV-Ray supporting every broken feature forever.  Future versions of
POV-Ray could just change the default textures to compensate for the
changed noise functions and then, while not looking identical, the
texture will look similar.  Of course, this is a one-time inconvenience,
but fixing it once properly is far better than just patching around it.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde