POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Problem with MegaPOV 0.7 (broken since 0.6A) : Re: Problem with MegaPOV 0.7 (broken since 0.6A) Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:31:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with MegaPOV 0.7 (broken since 0.6A)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 12 Mar 2001 19:48:21
Message: <3aad6e55$1@news.povray.org>
> 2) It affects rendering
> After parsing is done, POV will remember the last "#version" directive
that
> it came across.  This is used for two backwards-compatibility issues:
> a) normal - If the unofficial version is below 0.3, MegaPov will use the
old
> (buggy) code for perturbing surface normals.
> b) noise - If the unoffical version is below 0.5, MegaPov will use the old
> (buggy) code for computing fractal noise.

Thanks for the explaination of what the "last" one does.  What we need,
though, is to have parse-time selection of the noise function on a
per-texture basis, so Miller's classy stuff still works.  I suppose that
could be done by having two different function "objects" and automatically
choose one or the other at parse time, where one is the old way and one is
the new.

The reason it looked like it broke in 0.7 is because I updated the #version
line.  It =was= a 0.4.  (the change, Nathan points out in another note,
happened in 0.5)

--John