POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Python and POVRay : Re: Python and POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Python and POVRay
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 12 Mar 2001 18:19:27
Message: <3aad597f@news.povray.org>
Oh dear!
I wrote a couple of months ago something very similar (in Java) as a front
end to POV but scrapped the project as I have decided to do the lot in C++
(because I am toying with the idea of writing a POV-compatible render engine
as Free Sofware Project...).

By the way, if anybody is really determined to work to this effect (I
consider Python GREAT for scripting tought I would prefer an hybrid
C++/CPython architecture), please e-mail me.

Alessandro Coppo
a.c### [at] iolit
www.geocities.com/alexcoppo/

P.S.: with the Java source I quickly got to the point of implementing a
significant subset of POV language. One has to create a scene which is a
collection of objects, lights and a camera and then one "writes" it,
emitting very basic POV code (no macros, defines etc., using POV just as a
rendering engine). Total development time: 2 weeks....