POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why does motion blur behave like this? : Re: Why does motion blur behave like this? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:33:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why does motion blur behave like this?
From: Batronyx
Date: 11 Mar 2001 12:53:35
Message: <3aabbb9f@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote in message <3aab7736@news.povray.org>...
>"Batronyx" wrote:
>> First, why does the motion blur oscillate . . . >

>If you want to translate an object by the vector V from clock=0 to clock=1
>but not have any movement outside the range of 0 to 1, you must do
something
>like the following:
>
>#if ( clock<=0 )          translate <0,0,0> #end
>#if ( clock>0 & clock<1 ) translate V*clock #end
>#if ( clock>=1 )          translate V       #end
>
>Hope that helps.

Well thanks Rune! I'm guessing you've offered this solution as a means to
control the translation in the event I have actual clock values higher than
1 right? Otherwise the tests are kind of redundant. :)  But it was
incredibly helpful because upon reading your reply it occurred to me I
hadn't tried a clock_delta value of 'exactly' 1 just yet and that seems to
work best so far.

In fact I'm getting wonderful results! So thanks again!

There are still some anomalies, but they're predictable enough I can
workaround them. For example, testing with a unit sphere blur object scaled
0.5 and tranlated y*0.5 and sample_count of 2 with clock_delta 1 should
create 1 large sphere and one small sphere at the top with coincident
surfaces at exactly <0,1,0>. Instead the small sphere is at the bottom, but
negating the translation vector corrects it.

So really I was mistaken earlier: objects aren't really being translated
'outside' the translation space, at least not from a mathematically absolute
standpoint, but rather they are being translated outside the 'expected'
translation space. A simple signing bug.

Batronyx ^"^