POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why does motion blur behave like this? : Re: Why does motion blur behave like this? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why does motion blur behave like this?
From: Batronyx
Date: 10 Mar 2001 21:10:55
Message: <3aaadeaf$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote in message <3aaabe71@news.povray.org>...
>Batronyx <bat### [at] cadronhsacom> wrote:
>: First, why does the motion blur oscillate? I can see it as useful in a
>: number of situations, but ordinarily, if I'm tranlating something from
point
>: A to point B, I wouldn't expect copies of the object outside of the
>: translation space.
>
>  It may be that you have a bug in your code. Could you post a small
example
>so we can see for ourselves?

Certainly, the sample is below with comments added. I don't think the
oscillation is a bug though, since the docs do say the effect is 'centered'
around the 'camera_delta'. It's just something I wouldn't expect.

>: Second, If I put another regular object in the motion_blur object's space
>: one or the other won't render depending on their order of appearance in
my
>: scene file.

This one could very well be a bug. . . somewhere.  :)
Any help, suggestions, etc. is certainly appreciated. If you uncomment the
scale and
rotate commands in the motion_blur object below you can see what I'm working
on.
Also 'do' comment out the translate statements for better results.

>  Again, a small example would make things easier.

Sample code begins:
***************************************
#version unofficial MegaPov 0.7

#include "colors.inc"

global_settings
{
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  motion_blur 65,0.4   // change 'sample_count' to 2 and experiment
                                    //with varying values of
'camera_sample' to make the issue
                                    //easy to see.
}

// ----------------------------------------
camera
{
  location  <0.0, 0.5, -3.0>
  direction 1.7*z
  right     4/3*x
  up y
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

sky_sphere
{
  pigment
  {
    gradient y
    color_map { [0.0 color SkyBlue] [1.0 color blue 0.6] }
  }
}

light_source
{
  0*x // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb 1  // light's color
  translate -60 * z
  rotate <45, 45, 0>
  parallel
  point_at <0,0,0>
}

light_source
{
  0*x // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb 0.5  // light's color
  translate -60 * z
  rotate <11,90,0>
  shadowless
}

// ----------------------------------------
plane { y, -1
     texture {
     pigment {checker color NavyBlue, color Gray80}
     scale 2
     }
}

#declare MySphere = sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 1 }
#declare ScaleFactor = 0.8;

object {  // This object is occluded in my renders
              // moving it below the motion_blur object causes
              // the motion blur object to disappear.
  MySphere
  texture {
    pigment { bozo color_map {[ 0.0 color DarkBrown]
                                                    [0.5 color Khaki ]
                                                    [1.0 color DarkTan ]
                                                    }
                     scale 0.2 }
         }
  scale ScaleFactor
  translate y * clock * .5
}

motion_blur{
object {
  MySphere
  texture {
    pigment { bozo color_map {[ 0.0 color DarkBrown*clock ]
                                                    [clock color Khaki *
(1-clock)]
                                                    [1.0 color DarkTan *
clock]
                                                    }
                     scale 0.2 }
    normal { granite 10 scale 0.05 }
    finish { specular 0.007 }
  }
  //scale (ScaleFactor + ( clock * (1 - ScaleFactor) ))
  //rotate -y * clock * 30
  translate (y * clock * .5)
  //translate -(y * clock * .5)  // oscillation  makes these two translate
statements
                                              //functionally equivalent. A
'sample_count' of 2 and larger
                                              // values of translation