POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 and the STL. : Re: POV 4 and the STL. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:37:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 and the STL.
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 10 Mar 2001 00:00:37
Message: <3aa9b4f5$1@news.povray.org>
Having worked on producing such a cross-platform STL a few years ago, I can
tell you that they are loaded with work-arounds, brittle, less than fully
featured, and still make the compiler choke sometimes.

Before adopting one, make sure it has enough functionality to really be
worth the point -- if all you need are a few containers and basic iterators,
(1) it shouldn't be a big deal and (2) STL might be overkill.

Even then, for example with the Microsoft compiler (ships with a customized
version of Plauger's library) it still blows up at seemingly random times.
Can't make collection of some class or another, can't do this, can't do
that, ... just brittle and a headache.

--John