POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : yet another mengersponge... : Re: yet another mengersponge... Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:14:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yet another mengersponge...
From: Bonsai
Date: 9 Mar 2001 11:53:27
Message: <3aa90a87$1@news.povray.org>
"Vahur Krouverk" <vah### [at] aetecee> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Bonsai wrote:
> > Maybe this is a good scene to test the distribute render techniques
> > currently discussed in povray.general in the large-render-thread.
Parsing
> > time is very short compared to render time (parsing time about 30
seconds,
> > render time 2 days)
>
> What computer (how fast) was used to render such picture? Which
> algorithm was used? I managed to render menger with same recursion level
> and 800x600 (AA0.3) just little over 12 minutes when isosurface was used
> (this was when shader was used for calculation, for as it seems, shader
> will outperform user's iso functions).

I wanted to do the sponge in pure csg. So I did a lot of differences, that
resulted in this long rendertime.

Gilles gave me a tricky hint on doing the mengersponge very easy and fast.
My old code is just wasting of electric power and time.   :-(

But now I know that my new Athlon works stable even for days...

Bonsai