POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Well - final (115 kbau jpg) : Re: The Well - link to brighter version Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Well - link to brighter version
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 6 Mar 2001 12:13:27
Message: <3aa51ab6@news.povray.org>
Marc-Hendrik Bremer <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> Geoff Wedig schrieb in Nachricht <3aa4db94@news.povray.org>...

>>Oh, wow.  The birds are beautiful.

> Want the uv-image-map? I still could not figure out how to rotate the bird
> when it is uv-mapped. The image simply does not rotate with it. But if you
> just use it the way it is or switch it by scale <-1,1,1> it works good. Oh
> and you can rotate by the z-axis (as you can see).

Maybe.  I don't currently have any bird projects, but I might have a use for
it.  I'll let you know.

> That wall? Oh, that one was easy. Its just an Iso with a
> crackle-pigment-pattern. To make it look at least a bit more natural you
> have to scale it down in y-direction. Actualy I don't like that much, 'cause
> it just to random. People don't make such walls.

Hmm, when I was in Europe, I saw a lot of walls like that.  There isn't much
choice when all you have is irregular stones.

 They take rawly rectancular
> stones, which they fit together in a somewhat ordered random way. there are
> at least some horizontal lines in such a wall. I tried metric 1 crackle
> ones -that was rectancular, but not at all ordered. I'm currently thinking
> about a way to combine the brick pattern and the crackle pattern, but I
> don#t know if it leads anywhere.

Consider the following:

http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2000-12-31/summonin.jpg

and

http://darwin.cwru.edu/~wedig/summer/summer.png

Both sets of walls were made with my isw code (isosurface stone walls)  It
allows for placement of roughly rectangular blocks, but also will morph them
into cones and tubelike structures.  Any modification surface can be used
upon the blocks, and they're all independently textured.

So regular stones aren't a big deal to me. ;)

Geoff