POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Isosurface and Linux? : Re: Isosurface and Linux? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and Linux?
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 5 Mar 2001 04:40:57
Message: <3aa35f29@news.povray.org>
Margus Ramst schrieb in Nachricht <3AA308BB.2B8CC09F@peak.edu.ee>...
>Simon Lemieux wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> to give a try to iso-surfaces, but I saw on Povray.org there were many
>> tutorials, manuals, etc about iso-surfaces, is there one in particular
you
>> recommand for a beginner?
>>

>Here's a few tutorials to get you started, not sure which is the best for a
>beginner but all are well done:
>
>http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/ (has many demo scenes too)
>http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/
>http://www.hamiltonite.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/raytracing/STBenge/stbenge.html

I would look at them in reverse order (Bottom-Up).
The Smellenbergh Isosurface Manual is great, and it describes many
possibilities, but it's not a tutorial in the first place.
The second one is a good reference for the build in functions (so is the
manual, though).
Samuel Benge describes the basics (I didn't work to much with it, but it
seems to be a good place to start)
All this is just my humble opinion of course.

Isosurfaces are great. A bit slow perhaps (no not really if one looks at
what they are doing - but you get some long renders if you are not careful)
but really great if comes to small structures and you don't want to use just
normals.

Marc-Hendrik