POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Well - final (115 kbau jpg) : Re: The Well - link to brighter version Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Well - link to brighter version
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 4 Mar 2001 11:17:01
Message: <3aa26a7d@news.povray.org>
yooper schrieb in Nachricht <3aa2638f@news.povray.org>...
>Very nice pic . . . am inspired to contunue to find uses for that Fib
>pattern.

Thank you. That Fib Pattern is very good for this scene cause it gives it a
"real world" touch, I think. You won't expect a place be paved in rows and
collums and this pattern breaks the straigth lines to. That adds much to the
realism IMO.

>I really like all of your stone textures, esp the tiles on the roof of the
>well.

I'll post a poorly documented code snipped for the roof parts later this
day. It's basicaly a iso box+cylinder to which I added a agate pigemt
function. The code is not at all optimal (I intersected the whole roof part
with a box to trimm it).

>And I wanted to ask you where you got those birds and if that code is
>available somewhere.

Let me see, there is a link from Gilles Trans "The making of the Wet-Bird",
as Geoff Wedig told me. Its
http://www.chez.com/jrlivenais/vdesprit/gift/gift_eng.htm. It's a bit
difficult to texture it (I still could not figure out how to uv-map it, so
that I can rotate the bird), but it's no imposible task. If you want the
used image_map and my version of the bird, just ask.

>Now that you have it in a final version . . . I have some suggestions :)
>hehe
>not much really . . . just noticed that you use the same brick pattern in
>each
>of the brick portions . . . and thought that in future versions you might
>want
>to alter the color pattern so they don't end up looking identical.

Hrmph - so finaly someone did notice it :-) It would not be that difficult
to change that (I would just have to take a differend part of the brick
pattern), but as this whole iso-brick-patten got quite complicate I just
could not convince me that it's neccessary :-)

>That's it tho . . . a very pleasing scene . . . feels nice and warm . . .
>can almost
>feel the sun hitting me on the back . . .

Don't know how the weather is at your place, but we have snow here in the
middle of Germany - some sun on the back would be nice ...

Marc-Hendrik