POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why can't patterns be declared ? : Re: Why can't patterns be declared ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why can't patterns be declared ?
From: Rune
Date: 3 Mar 2001 16:01:49
Message: <3aa15bbd@news.povray.org>
"Tony[B]" wrote:
> > it's a pigment_pattern because it's a pattern made from a
> > pigment, not because it's used in pigments.
>
> Then the name feels out of order... it should be
> pattern_from_pigment, or something. :) I don't know...
> I just don't like it... If the rest of you feel comfy-fine
> with it, then OK, I'll put up with it...

It's common for words to work like that. The last part describes what the
object is, and the first part describes what is special about it. Here's
some examples:

A mailbox is a box. It contains mails.

A race horse is a horse. It participates in races.

A horse race is a race. It is a race for horses.

Similary, a pigment_pattern is a pattern. The special thing about this
pattern is that it is made from a pigment.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org