POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Door into Summer, update : Re: WIP: Door into Summer, update Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:29:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Door into Summer, update
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 3 Mar 2001 14:28:23
Message: <3aa145d7@news.povray.org>
In povray.binaries.animations Marc-Hendrik Bremer <Marc-Hendrik.Bremer@t-online.de>
wrote:

> Geoff Wedig schrieb in Nachricht <3aa1390e@news.povray.org>...
>>It's radiosity, which has
>>much the same effect from one frame to the next.  If I could do a radiosity
>>map, similar to the photon map, and use it for all frames, it would not
> only
>>speed rendering, but it would get rid of that.  Only other option is to
> turn
>>the radiosity settings way up to try to get convergence.

> Oh OK, didn't know that rad could have this effect too.
> In a way that flicking is not even a bad thing. There were/are some
> comic-animation's which had some flickering to. It might be a sign of low
> quality there but it adds somehow to the life in the animation.

Well, any random process is likely to have this effect.  POV radiosity isn't
'true' radiosity, it's a Monte-Carlo method.  It sends out random rays and
then averages.  If you send enough rays, the average will converge to the
right result, but what is 'enough' is a question.  Also, because pov uses a
method whereby some points that are close use similar radiosity values so it
doesn't have to calculate *every* point, then when the camera moves, we get
some strange artifacts.

Geoff