POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another city-sight (93,7 kbbu) : Re: Another city-sight (93,7 kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another city-sight (93,7 kbbu)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 2 Mar 2001 17:47:28
Message: <3aa02300@news.povray.org>
Stephen Bell schrieb in Nachricht <3aa015ec@news.povray.org>...
> I think your scene looks really cold.  If your main light source were just
a little
>dimmer, it would look almost moonlit.  I would say that you could improve
>your image a lot by putting a slightly yellow tint on your main light
>source, and make it a little brighter, so it looks more like sunlight.

The light_source is already a little yellow tinted (as you can see an the
granite well-stones on the left). I'll try to bump it up a bit and see,
what's coming out. I don't think that this scene can take more light,
though. What makes it look so cold are the colors of the ground stones and
the walls, in addition to the radiosity tint from the blue background.
That's what makes it "moonlit", too, I think. I'll probably not change that,
because it's simply to much work and I have to admit that I realy want to
get to an end with one.

>The other thing that I think is a little off is your cropping.  It looks a
>little strange to me that you are so zoomed in on the well (although I can
>see why you'd want to... it's very nice).  If you backed up the camera
>enough so that you could see the whole well, and a little more of the
>backgournd, it would improve things a lot.  Make sure to keep the well off
>center in your image.  It will look nicer that way.  Keep up the good work.

It's not that easy :-) There is not much more of the surrounding buildings
as you can see. Well that's no excuse of course, but as I said I'm a bit
tired of this one. In addition I can't extend the ground tiling anymore
because my system can't take more of these isosurfaces. I could reorganize
the code to take predeclared stones, but I don't know if it would help.
Technical stuff and lazyness - that's always in my way.
But you are probably right, that it would look nicer. I've also thought
about another aspect ratio, too. In my opinion it would take another
"eye-catcher"at the well, perhaps a dandelion at the base or something.
Perhaps I'll try one day ... I'll definiately bear it in mind for future
scenes.

>Great use of normals.

Normals? Well there are not many normal-statements in that scene - most of
it are isosurfaces, to which I am addicted, I have to confess.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Marc-Hendrik