POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another city-sight (93,7 kbbu) : Re: Another city-sight (93,7 kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another city-sight (93,7 kbbu)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 2 Mar 2001 03:42:23
Message: <3a9f5cef@news.povray.org>
D.J. Brown schrieb in Nachricht <3a9f0743@news.povray.org>...

>Focal blur occurs in human vision, except that the eyes adjust so quickly
>that most of the time you don't notice. If you hold your fingers across
your
>vision up close, then "see" the computer screen through them while still
>focusing on the fingers, the screen will be blurry. This test can be taken
>to virtuall any "human" scale. This is hard to compensate for with your
>goals in mind, as you're trying to convey a wholistic sense of your world.
>Maybe create a series of images showing the microcosms of your world, and
>large, encompassing images to give a sense of place.

OK, now I get it. When I heard focal blur I thought of that overdone and
intentional kind photographers do some times to emphasise the focus on one
item. I think you are referring to a much more subtle one. Much more like a
kind of haze, which hinds part of the details in the depth.

Is there any (more or less) empirical data, which is the actual "angle of
sharpness" for the human eye? I know that the human eye can only differ
between points which are more than a 1/90th of a degree apart. Does anyone
know, which is the  angle which is seen sharp in say 1 meter distance (since
it most likely differs with the focal point of the eye lenses, doesn't it?)?

Alas, focal blur and media take that long in Pov (though the post process FB
of MegaPov may work), so I don't think I'll realise it in this scene.

Marc-Hendrik