POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu) : Re: Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu)
From: Rune
Date: 1 Mar 2001 17:23:48
Message: <3a9ecbf4@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> It *is* possible to have displacement be independant of
> gradient... just displace the coordinates you give to the
> blob function, instead of adding to/subtracting from the
> function.

Aha, I didn't know that.

> Use 3 displacement functions with outputs from -1 to 1,
> each one offset a bit so it doesn't synchronize with the
> others

It sounds to me like a displacement pattern value will displace the surface
in a specific direction rather than displacing it in the direction of the
surface normal (or vnormalized gradient vector). That makes me think that it
is not useful for displacing a surface by a specific and detailed 3D solid
pattern. Is that correct? Maybe there's another method for handling this?

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org