POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Ice mountain (63kbu) : Re: WIP Ice mountain (63kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Ice mountain (63kbu)
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 1 Mar 2001 07:35:26
Message: <3a9e420e@news.povray.org>
> This image is really beautiful.
> (-> background desktop image)

Oohh. I'm honoured.

> * Gosh this is cold, nice color scheme.
>
> * Really love the water (and I would be very interested to see that
> code), although it could benefit from a wee bit of depth (transparency).

The icy lake?

#declare Ice=
 texture {
  // ice
  pigment {rgbf <0.95,0.95,1,0.6>}
  finish {
   ambient 0.3
   diffuse 0.6
   reflection_type 1
   reflection_min 0
   reflection_max 0.7
   specular 0.6 roughness 0.008
  }
 }

isosurface {
  function {y-4.5-noise3d(x/4,0,z/4)*0.75}
  method 2
  max_gradient 1.1
  contained_by {box {<-18,-15,-90>,<80,10,100>}}
  texture {
   Ice
   normal {
    ripples 0.2
    scale 0.6
    turbulence 0.4
    translate <10000,300,-3000>
   }
  }
  interior {ior 1.5}
 }

> * I'd like to have a still better feeling of vastness, openness. The
> space does feel a bit too square and enclosed to my taste... Some wild
> suggestions : wider image ratio (16:9?),

I'm thinking about moving the camera slightly to the left, keeping the
look_at the same. Along with a wider ratio should make it feel more open.

>remove fence on the far side of water or restrict it
> to a precise area (so it doesn't feel so enclosed)(is this really a
> fence on the other side ? It looks way too big to me...?)

Yup, is a fence and it's going.

> * Ooooooh, very nice crystal towers.
>
> * An additional comment on te waterfall : how would it look if it was a
> smidgen taller (summit a bit higher then the cliff) ?

it's already a little taller than the cliff. I was worried about it looking
wierd if I made it too high.

> * I am jealous... I never dream like that ;-(

I seldom remember dreams and when I do I usually remember
very short undetailed bits. (This morning I remembered dreaming
about whipping cream, not sure why or in what context...)

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * System.dat not found.         *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Reformat hard drive Y)es O)k  *
* If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0               *