POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Ice mountain (63kbu) : Re: WIP Ice mountain (63kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Ice mountain (63kbu)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 28 Feb 2001 14:19:30
Message: <3a9d4f40@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw <gsh### [at] monotixcoza> wrote:

> Geoff Wedig <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote in message
>> Well, take a look at Door Into Summer.  If you want the Snow Texture from
>> that, let me know.  It was done with blobs, so you can get some pretty
>> convincing snow (depends on how long you want to play with it.)

> Love your pic, would definatly like to see the texture. Did you say
> you would be posting the code sometime?

*all* the code?  Trust me, you don't want it.  It's far from clean.  Some
bits, like the stuff to make walls and arches I'm planning on posting
somewhere, because I think they'd be generally useful, but most of it I'll
keep unless people ask.

The snow texture, on the other hand, I can do easily (see below)

The first (Snow1) is a not bad attempt at the rolling plains snow, but I
don't actually use it in the pic, finding Snow2 almost as good, and much
better for the piled snow in the foreground.  Only real problem is that it's
slightly too shiny when in direct light, but maybe it'll do what you want.

The principle behind it, if you're curious, is that worn snow (ie, been
around for awhile) has largish chunks that're icelike, and other chunks
that're more dullish, thus the two textures.  Works pretty well, I think.

These were both made originally by Moray, then exported, but I've had
editted them extensively.

#declare Snow1 =
    texture {
      pigment { color rgb 1 }