POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Space Ship : Re: Space Ship Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space Ship
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 28 Feb 2001 07:21:15
Message: <3a9ced3b@news.povray.org>
Data <not@all> wrote:

> "Geoff Wedig" wrote .
>> Data <not@all> wrote:
>>
>> > Heh, I'm just a newbie at a lot of this. The only Benzier patch I've
> used
>> > was in the pov help file. Oh well, I'll keep reading and learning.
>>
>> I don't hand code beziers like Rune or some others.  I use Moray to do
> that
>> kind of thing.  I do a lot of pre-modelling in Moray.  By Pre I mean I set
>> up basic shapes and positions, but then take what Moray does and hand code
>> lot on top of it.  Too much of what I do requires Megapov, for instance,
> or
>> the ability to do iterations, and the like.  But I find Moray really
> useful
>> for textures and basic layout of CSG style objects.
>>
> Had a look at Moray. I don't know why, but I find wireframes diffcult.
> Though I did have a look - there's a pointy shuttlecraft made with a benzier
> patch on my art site

When did you look?  Newest version has Open GL support, so wire frames are
only if you want them.

>> > moment I'm trying to do a shuttle craft for the starship.
>> > www.geocities.com/dafrahn/pics/nornfleet2.gif  - 159k and a newer look.
>> > The old look was a 759k gif. (it's still up as nornfleet1.gif if you can
>> > spare the bandwidth)
>> > I should start looking through some of the files I've been downloading
>> > see how things are done.
>> > You're right, blobs can be slow to render, especially on a Cyrix
> machine. I
>> > do like the smooth, streamlined look, though.
>>
>> There are other ways to get that, though.  It's a matter of *how*
>> streamlined you want things.  I think my image is pretty streamlined,
> though
>> there are hard edges in places.  Working with CSG to get streamlined
> objects
>> isn't always easy though, unless you're really good with math.
>>
> True, yours is most definately streamlined :) And CSG would make adding
> windows a lot easier, plus a cockpit on smaller craft. They both have uses
> :)

Well, even if you did something nifty, adding CSG makes it niftier. ;)  For
example, no matter how you make your craft, using trace() in MegaPov you can
add windows to it using CSG.  That is how HEDay did the Sabotage of the
Lincoln picture, I believe.

Geoff