POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another city-sight (93,7 kbbu) : Re: Without extra light (Re: Another city-sight) (42,6 kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Without extra light (Re: Another city-sight) (42,6 kbbu)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 27 Feb 2001 09:16:27
Message: <3a9bb6bb@news.povray.org>
Marc-Hendrik Bremer <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, 18 lines --]

> Christoph Hormann schrieb in Nachricht <3A9AA9E6.A6CCBDED@gmx.de>...

>>A sample picture without the additional light sources might help.

> OK, here is a tiny picture without the extra light (and aa). I hope it's
> enough to see what's going on. It is much better than I remembered, but I
> changed some things since I tried it the last time without that additional
> light. And the shadows are still of constant brightness.

The shadows on the well look much better, though.  They're not so dark that
you can't make out details.  I like this a lot more than the previous shot.
It's got a lot more realism.

> I still have to try your other suggestions. I'll also try to replace
> background {rgb <0.4,0.4,0.6>} with a big sphere with ambient 0.5 or
> something like that.

Actually, the background color does affect radiosity (take a look at my Door
into Summer pics recently posted.  The wall on the Summer side are blue,
despite the light being yellowish because of the sky) so I don't know that
that's necessary.

My one complaint, and this goes for many radiosity pics (including mine), is
that it looks a little plastic.  Adding appropriate finishes will probably
fix that, though.

Geoff