POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chipped Marbles. (20K) : Re: Finished Chipped Marbles. (70K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finished Chipped Marbles. (70K)
From: Duncan Gray
Date: 26 Feb 2001 19:36:28
Message: <3a9af68c@news.povray.org>
Richard Morton wrote:
> 1) In the marbles that I have seen (as recently as last weekend), the
> different coloured leaves are joined in the middle edge - this may well
vary
> across manufacturers.
> 2) The coloured leaves are too close to the top of the glass. This may
just
> be something to do with viewing angle but I would expect more of a gap.

Cheers.

During development, I did have the leaves meeting in the middle. I tried it
both ways and ended up using this version - for no particular reason. I got
tied up last wekend and didn't manage to go marble shopping so this image
has been built largely on suggestions from group, some pictures downloaded
from a marble museum, and a fading 20 year old memory of what a marble looks
like !

With respect to the swirly bits finishing too close to the top of the
marble, The marble has been tilted backwards (so that the swirly bits
receive some lighting from the main light-source). This does make the swirly
bits appear to touch the top of the marble, the refraction of the glass (IOR
1.2) also exaggerates the effect. I'll fix this at some time, but I think I
better get hold of a couple of marbles myself first to refresh my memory.

I hope you'll excuse me if I don't implement your suggestions
immediately -though I am sure you are correct in your observations
(especially with such recent marble experience). The image was meant to be a
couple of days light relief from my IRTC Anim entry and has managed to take
over a week now. I will re-visit the image at some point in the future but
for the moment I must resume my Anim or it won't be finished on time.

I just wanted to get the image to something I considered 'acceptably
complete' for myself, and the couple of people that requested it as a
wallpaper image (hence the links to lots of different sized versions).

Thanks again, and honest, one day I will correct the points you have raised.

--
Duncan Gray
(warning: may contain traces of nut)