POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 - paperplane2.avi (1/1) : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 - paperplane2.avi (1/1) - folding.mpg (0/1) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 09:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 - paperplane2.avi (1/1) - folding.mpg (0/1)
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Date: 26 Feb 2001 17:14:01
Message: <3a9ad1f8.23747989@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:42:50 -0500, Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom>
wrote:

>How did you do the folding? Nested unions of triangle objects, or a mesh?
>The only practical way of managing mesh triangles that I can think of
>would be to use declared transformations and the vtransform() function
>in MegaPOV...is this what was done?

Basically,

1. Declare control points in plane
2. Manipulate control points (folding macros based on vaxis_rotate()
   and stuff.
3. Declare mesh with triangles composed of control points

The .inc file is in povray.text.scene-files, but I cannot wouch for
it's readability - did a little cleaning up before posting, though.
The folding macros do all the real work. Additionally, there is a
little cheat that applies to two control-points: if they have negative
x-coordinates, their x-coordinates are set to 0 - just to keep the
paper from "tearing".

However, for the past hour I have been thinking of another mehtod:

1. Declare folds (just degrees for each known fold).
2. Declare control points using folds as parameters.
3. Declare mesh with triangles composed of control points.

Kind of neater, I think. Maybe for the next paperfolding thing I
make... I'll have to look into it.

Yours,

 -- Nikodemus