POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Smoke Trail (60kbbu) : Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 09:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu)
From: Rune
Date: 24 Feb 2001 10:43:04
Message: <3a97d688@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> In the current patch, you would have to do some of it yourself,
> running the particle system for short intervals of time and
> updating the position of the particle emitter between them,

Why? Does it not support moving emitter-points directly?

> but this will probably lead to artifacts from the emitter
> jerkily moving from place (aliasing, like those "puffs" of
> smoke from your rocket),

Those puffs are not caused by aliasing. Each puff is only one particle, not
a group of particles. They're caused by a low particle_frequency. If the
particle_frequency were high enough, there would be no visible puffs, even
if the particle_frequency were higher than the calculation frame-rate.

> I'll be working on a dynamic_transform or transform_spline that
> will interpolate between transformations, allowing things like
> emitters and objects to move while the particle system runs.

Moving particle-emitters are already supported in my system, but not moving
environment-objects.

> Hopefully, it will also be useful for ordinary animations...

I think it would be very useful to be able to interpolate transformations. I
have often done similar things myself (in POV-script).

> The age of each particle is available

Not in the current version, according to the documentation, but it does say
that it will be available in future versions...

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org