POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Door into Summer : Re: WIP: Door into Summer Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Door into Summer
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 22 Feb 2001 07:40:07
Message: <3a9508a6@news.povray.org>
Cris Williams <wor### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> Excellent!  Summer is a bit dark.  On the other hand, a bright summer day
> probably isn't as bright as a bright winter day with the snow reflections.  How
> did you do the brick wall/arch?

Yeah, it's difficult to make the summer seem brighter, since the winter is
mostly white and light grey, so I settled for making it a lot more colorful.

The wall is from code that I designed called the ISW (Iso-stone Wall).
Originally, it started out as a port of the mur.inc to iso-surfaces, but I
found that mur.inc wasn't adequate for what I wanted to do.  So I rewrote it
from the ground up.  I built a lot more logic into the laying of stones, and
included a bunch of macros to allow me to make things like towers and tubes,
each with variable radius.  These are done by permutation functions to the
isosurface function.  I want to add a spherical and disc like as well, but
that's not done yet.  The arch is just a very short (one block long) half tube.

Incidentally, it's not just for stone.  I've made some really nice hardwood
floors with it and the isowood.inc just by re-defining a bunch of macros.

At some point, I need to write up a quick doc for it and then I'll release
it.  The code is pretty clean, but it's tricky to see what needs doing to
get the right effect without some guidance.

Geoff