POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chipped Marbles. (20K) : Re: Chipped Marbles. (20K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chipped Marbles. (20K)
From: Duncan Gray
Date: 19 Feb 2001 17:12:26
Message: <3a919a4a@news.povray.org>
David Fontaine wrote:
> I think the left one is much better. Glass is pretty resistant to
deformation,
> at a certain level of stress it'll just break.

Funny you should say that, I fiddled about with the one on the right that it
has now broken in half.

I guess the picture is now called " Red wins by K-O "

> From what I remember of my marbles, back before I lost 'em, the colored
part is
> much more two-dimensional. What I would do; imagine spinning a disc to
make a
> sphere, but instead of tracing out infinite copies of the disc, trace out
some
> number like three. Then take this whole thing and twist it around the same
axis
> you spun the disc around, so you get a multiple helix thing, with edges
along a
> sphere or ellipsoid.

Ah, so my memory wasn't lieing to me - the colours are more ribbon-like than
solid. At the moment I'm doing it by spinning three negative blobs about a
positive blob, then duplicating this shape, shorted but fatter and flipped
on it's axis of rotation. That way the colour on the top and bottom
inter-twines the color in the centre.

it might not be too much work to correct this (fatal last words).

Thanks V. much, I'll go back and play some more.

--
Duncan Gray
(warning: may contain traces of nut)